Informative Masterclass
How to Protect your Family’s Assets and Leave a Lasting Legacy
Save Your Spot Now!

White Plains & New City, New York Estate Planning & Elder Law Firm

Joint Account - Can I Give My Child Access to My Bank Account?

November 1, 2021
David Parker, Esq.
What is a POD account ?
David Parker, White Plains and New City NY Estate Planning Attorney
David Parker, Esq.
David Parker is an attorney who specializes in Estate Planning and Elder Law and has been practicing law for 30 years. Be it Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Proxies, or Medicaid Planning, David provides comprehensive and caring counsel for seniors and their families. A large portion of David’s practice is asset protection strategies so that families do not lose their hard earned savings to nursing home care costs. He also handles probate administration for the settlement of estates.
Would your loved ones have necessary access to your bank accounts after you die to help carry out your last wishes and handle arrangements?

Joint Account - Unless you’ve made plans in advance, your loved ones might find themselves in a financial jam after you die. There are a number of steps you can take now to prevent this from happening. Since none of us knows when this will happen, it’s best not to delay. That’s the advice from a recent article titled 2 Ways to Give Loved Ones Access to Your Bank Accounts After You Die” from Next Avenue.

A bank account only in one person’s name takes time and a big effort to gain access to, but this can be fixed. Designate a beneficiary on your bank accounts, including checking or money market accounts, CDs (Certificate of Deposits), and others through Payable on Death (POD) accounts. They are sometimes called Transfer on Death or Totten accounts.

Not only will your beneficiaries have access to the funds in these accounts upon your death, depending on the laws of your state, these accounts don’t go through probate.

However, there is a downside, and it could be a big one. If the funds in these accounts are intended for other heirs, there will be no way for other heirs to retrieve assets if the person on the account does not want to share. That’s something you need to discuss with an estate planning attorney. You may wish to limit the amount of money in your checking account, for instance, so your child can easily pay for your funeral, while keeping most other and larger assets in a trust for other beneficiaries.

Using a trust avoids probate and protects your wishes for the assets.

When adding someone to your bank account or opening a new one, simply ask the bank to provide their form to name someone or more than one person, as the Payable on Death beneficiary. The withdrawal will still take some effort, as the person will need to provide a death certificate and identification. You could name one child, or name all of your children.

Another means of accomplishing this is to create a separate bank account with co-owner status. Joint accounts or co-owner bank accounts also bypass probate and are fairly straightforward, when owned by married couples.

However, like the downside mentioned above, joint accounts can lead to unintended consequences. If the co-owner empties the account, you have no legal recourse. The same goes for creditors of the co-owner.

Having a will and discussing how trusts can protect your estate plan is a better way to go. Trusts allow for a great deal of control of your assets, while protecting heirs from creditors.

If you have no will at all, and financial accounts have no POD designations or co-owners, the state’s law will be used to determine what happens to your assets, which will all go through probate. Talk with an experienced estate planning attorney to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Reference: Next Avenue (Sep. 29, 2021) 2 Ways to Give Loved Ones Access to Your Bank Accounts After You Die”


Share This Post
Stay Informed
Subscribe To Our FREE Estate Planning, Probate and Elder Law Newsletter

Book Your Free Initial Consultation With Parker Law Firm Today
Get Started Now

The 15 minute initial phone call is designed as a simple way for you to get to know us, and for our team to learn more about your unique estate planning needs.

Book an Initial Call
Book A Call With Parker Law Firm
Parker Law Firm
White Plains Location

222 Bloomingdale Rd #301,
White Plains, NY 10605

New City Location

120 North Main Street, Suite 203,
New City, NY 10956

IMS - Estate Planning and Elder Law Practice Growth Advisors
Powered by